— Knowledge base

We provide the only free knowledge base in the UK dedicated to Supported Exempt Accommodation

  1. Knowledge base
  2. Specified Accommodation
  3. Specified Accommodation
  4. What is floating support?

What is floating support?

Basic info

Floating support means support that is not linked to accommodation and not normally provided by a person’s landlord. Irrespective of his or her housing situation a person might need support with issues such as budgeting, life skills, drug or alcohol misuse, avoiding offending etc. A support provider can offer this as a stand-alone service without providing or arranging accommodation linked to the support.

In principle a person receiving floating support could be a tenant, licensee, owner occupier or living in someone else’s household. Typically, however, floating support tends to be provided to people who have previously lived in supported accommodation such as a hostel and have recently “moved on” to their own tenancy for a self-contained dwelling. In the short term they might require some help and guidance in setting up utility accounts, budgeting to ensure that fuel charges are paid, keeping in touch with a probation officer etc.

In Housing Benefit, there are no particular rules for people receiving floating support: HB is calculated according to the normal rules for the type of accommodation arrangement (rent rebate for council tenants, Local Housing Allowance for private tenants etc).