— Knowledge base

We provide the only free knowledge base in the UK dedicated to Supported Exempt Accommodation

  1. Knowledge base
  2. Specified Accommodation
  3. Specified Accommodation
  4. Show me some examples[…]

Show me some examples of supported accommodation schemes

Type of accommodationPeople who live in the accommodation "service users"How do people get a place in the accommodation?Nature of care, support or supervision
Hostel: three-storey building with twelve single rooms, a shared kitchen and several shared bathrooms; communal living room; office and reception area for staff. Hostel is owned and run by a registered charity.Single homeless people with unsettled lifestyles. Support needs associated with substance misuse, offending, mental illness, poor life skills and social exclusion.

The project aims to prepare service users to “move on” to independent living within approximately six months to two years

The local authority (who fund the support workers) have exclusive referral rights through a “gateway”. Potential service users might be identified by health service, police, probation service, advice agencies, other organisations who help homeless people etc. But all applications must be processed through the “gateway”.Two full time support workers funded under a contract between the local authority and the charity that runs the hostel. Each service user spends several hours a week receiving one-to-one support from one of the support workers. This is known as “key-working”: each service user has a named key worker who helps him/her to set goals and supports him/her to achieve those goals, which might include abstaining from alcohol, planning a weekly grocery shop, keeping a probation appointment etc
Refuge for women escaping domestic violence. A large detached house with six rooms and shared kitchen and bathroom. Owned and run by a registered charity.Women and, in many cases, their dependent children who have left home to escape from a violent, controlling, emotionally or financially abusive partner. A stay in the refuge might last anywhere from a few days to a few months: it depends whether the woman can safely return home protected by an injunction; whether she is in a position to find and pay for alternative accommodation independently etcThe refuge has an emergency telephone number that can easily be found online, in yellow pages or by contacting the local authority’s out of hours switchboard. After an initial telephone conversation a meeting is arranged at a safe location and from there the woman (and any children accompanying her) can travel to the refuge’s secret addressEmotional support to cope with trauma and upheaval; practical support, such as establishing benefit claims, finding alternative accommodation, getting in touch with a solicitor etc. The staff providing these services are funded by a contract with the local authority
A young people’s “foyer”: a former block of flats on a council estate, now converted to provide 20 self-contained single room studio flats for service users, shared recreation and education rooms and staff accommodation. Owned by the housing association that took over the local authority’s housing in a large scale stock transfer16-25 year olds at risk of homelessness (for example due to estrangement from parents). Expected to move on to independent accommodation within a maximum of two yearsAccess to the foyer is exclusively through the local authority’s housing options service. Young people who come to the attention of other organisations (advice centres etc) can be referred to housing optionsSupport focussed on life skills and employment opportunities. There are staff based on site and the foyer also has close links with outside agencies - for example the National Careers Service (formerly Connexions) regularly runs sessions at the foyer.
Traditional sheltered accommodation complex: self-contained one-bedroom flats equipped with a warden-call alarm system; communal lounge and canteen area. Owned by a housing associationOver 55 age group, with particular emphasis on people who are able to live independently from day to day but who would benefit from the security of being able to summon help in the event of a fall or sudden illness. Residence here is indefinite - many tenants will stay for the rest of their livesBy direct application to the housing associationWarden based on site. Emergency intervention when a tenant activates their alarm; also a proactive approach to tenant welfare with regular visits to tenants in their flats. Service is funded by a charge included in the tenants’ rent.
A former registered care home, now de-registered. Ten private rooms, shared living room, staff accommodation including sleepover room for night staff. Kitchens and laundry equipment used by staff to prepare meals for residents or to assist residents to prepare their own meals.Adults of any age with learning disabilities. Many service users will need life-long care and support and their stay in this accommodation is indefiniteAll of the service users receive care and support from a care provider with close connections to the company that provides the accommodation. They are offered a place in the accommodation as a package alongside the care and support. Referrals come through the local authority adult social care team. Some of the service users have been in residential care and are ready for more independence; some have previously lived with close family members who have died or who are no longer able to care for themAssistance with daily living and life skills: help with cooking, shopping, laundry, managing correspondence, mobile phone use, befriending and emotional support, intervention in emergencies etc. Each service user has been assessed by the adult social care team as requiring care and support. The care and support is paid for by the local authority, subject to a means-tested contribution from the service user.
Several three and four bedroom houses, leased from private landlords by a registered charity. Occupied as Houses in Multiple Occupation - each occupier has their own bedroom, with shared kitchen, bathroom and living roomSuccessful asylum seekers newly eligible for mainstream benefits after being awarded leave to remain in the UK as refugees; also unaccompanied child asylum seekers who have reached age 18 and still have discretionary leave to remain in the UK pending a decision on their asylum application. Generally expected to move on to independent living within a few monthsWord of mouth recommendations among communities of refugees from common states of origin; and in the case of child asylum seekers reaching 18, referrals from local authority children’s services departmentsCultural integration: claiming benefits, finding a GP or dentist, finding independent accommodation, finding employment and training opportunities, translating correspondence. Some specialist counselling in relation to specific cultural issues such as khat misuse. No local authority support contract: the charity is skilled at finding grants from government departments or larger charities and also uses student interns who are placed with the charity as part of their studies
Several hundred houses, mostly three or four bedrooms, leased from private landlords by a registered housing association. Houses are located all over the country. Occupied as Houses in Multiple Occupation - each occupier has their own bedroom, with shared kitchen, bathroom and living roomPeople released from prison. Accommodation is provided for 12 weeks during which time the service users are supported to find independent accommodationExclusive referral from NOMS.Support is funded by a contract between the Ministry of Justice and the housing association. The support eases the transition from prison to independent living with a particular aim of reducing the risk of reoffending